Friday 3 July 2009

Kayaking at St. Paul's Bay.






On Friday, we went kayaking at St. Paul's Bay. The day started out with this heavy fog, we could barely see two metres ahead of us. Seamus and I had a double kayak, and we were a very good kayaking team! I am a very fast kayaker. Seamus is a bit ropey though. We stopped at this little bay to have lunch. And we saw seals! It was amazing, they all swam around and underneath our kayak. You know I like animal encounters. We saw about a thousand Arctic Terns too. Maybe two thousand.

Anyway, I love kayaking! It was so much fun. You know, the overwhelming reason for us to move to Canada long-term is the amount of outdoor activities, and the communities associated with them. There's this store, Mountain Equipment Coop. You pay to become a member, and and it sells outdoor equipment, but at a lower price because it's not for profit. They have them in big cities in Canada, and they have events like Bear Awareness courses, and noticeboards advertising outdoor events and groups. It's so great - as far as I know, we don't really have anything like this in the UK. Ourdoor activities are just part of everyday life in Canada, which makes it really easy.

Having said that, I don't know if I want to move to Canada. I don't miss much from the UK, but there are a few things that piss me off about this country...another rant may be forthcoming regarding mobile phone costs and how annoying Canadian banks are...oh and mosquitos. I had never truly stopped to enjoy the bug-free existence I had in the UK. It's so nice not to have to worry about bug spray or bug nets. I miss those blissful times.

No comments: