Friday 3 July 2009

Hiking Gros Morne Mountain.





Saturday was an intrepid expedition! We hiked Gros Morne Mountain, the highest point in the park (and the second highest in Newfoundland), a hike that's described as "very strenuous" in the guidebooks. For this reason, I was pretty nervous, especially as one of the guys in our group was hiking without his girlfriend because she was "too scared". That's usually me! I'm usually too scared! But by now, it was too late, we were at the base of the mountain, and I am so glad I went!

The hike was beautiful. It took about seven hours, a 16km round trip. It started out warm, then it POURED with rain (this made me feel even more intrepid). The rain part was a bit miserable - I was soaked through to my knickers. THAT kind of rain. It rained for about 45 minutes, then the sun came out and it was beautiful.

It was such a good hike! We saw four moose, and learnt some stuff about Newfoundland flowers. The views from the top of the mountain were so fantastic. Maybe the best hike I've done in Canada.

No comments: